View Single Post
      03-08-2011, 09:12 AM   #23
Bimar
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Bmw X

Quote:
Originally Posted by jijioben View Post
OK, I guess I should try to put this item to rest. First, please see the attached picture: it is the official word from BMW.

Now, about how it feels, at least to me.

The dampers in the car without VDC feel a bit softer than the ones in the Sport setting of the car with VDC. The level of softness to me is as follows:

soft
hard
+----------------------------+---------------+
VDC Normal
No VDC
VDC Sport
Please keep in mind this is subjective. Also, the change is noticeable but not dramatic.

As for the throttle control, this is exactly as indicated in the brochure. In Sport mode, a car with VDC reacts immediately to changes in pressure on the accelerator pedal, whereas a car with VDC in Normal mode or a car without VDC behave identically - with some amount of throttle lag.

Finally, the steering. I think that the attached chart is again correct here. I must say as an aside that centering of steering forces in the X3 seems a bit off when accelerating. Sometimes the stiffening of the wheel happens while making a control movement and this may lead one on the outside of a turn, which I think is the only less than optimal behaviour I found so far. But this is for another post.

I hope this helps!
thanks a mill for cracking this one i can finally order without VDC and know the ride will be smooth still. This info would make a great post for tons of people have asked and noone has had acomprehensive answer as this with charts and all.

Last edited by Bimar; 03-08-2011 at 09:27 AM..
Appreciate 0