View Single Post
      08-26-2015, 03:50 AM   #7
gIzzE
Major General
Rep
Drives: F11 + 911 C4

I used to get this on our 5GT, in comfort mode it would happen a fair bit, in sport mode not at all.

The car just became more wallowy in comfort mode while not actually being that much more comfortable, and in fact when going through town with speed bumps and bad pot holes etc. noticeable worse.
We discussed this on the 5 and 7 series forum quite a bit as in the end we decided leaving the car in sport mode was simply better all round.

I have said it before, I am not a massive fan of BMWs adaptive dampers, when you try the adaptive dampers in say an RS4 you realise how good they should be.
Not saying Audi have it right, because on some models it is worse, but the RS4 is simply a car where they have nailed it.

I still believe a well set up damper, spring and wheel/tyre combo will give 99% of people the best results.

After trying a few set ups I found the standard SE suspension on 19" wheels with non run flats to work almost perfectly as an all rounder. A slightly stiffer spring could be even better, but as an all round package that is extremely comfortable, but handles well when pressing on but is also very relaxing sat on the motorway, that combo seems to get a good 8/10 in all areas.
Appreciate 0