09-19-2012, 03:50 AM   #2209
sfax
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 2011 F25

Quote:
Originally Posted by philtrick123 View Post
Just a follow on from my last post- does anyone know where the SIM card for the Connected Drive is located in the car? Does anyone know which network it uses? Does it work in Europe if I go on hols i.e. is free data roaming supported?
T-mobile SIM but annoyingly not 3G, only EDGE so crap for data speed basically. Does work in Europe though - BMW Assist and the whole SOS thing covers UK + 14 European countries and this needs the SIM for sending car's location.

From BMW brochure:

Quote:
The most reassuring element of BMW Assist is the Emergency Call service. This is activated when you press an overhead button or triggered automatically if the car is involved in an accident. It alerts emergency services and relays the car’s location, pinpointed by the satnav. This facility is now active in the UK and 14 other European countries: France, Belgium, Netherlands, Germany, Italy, Spain, Austria, Switzerland, Luxembourg, Monaco, Andorra, Lichtenstein, San Marino and Vatican City. In the unlikely event of a breakdown, you can connect direct to the 24-hour, seven-days-a-week BMW Roadside Assistance service centre, manned by technicians ready to sort the problem or arrange rescue.
Re. the SIM's location in the car: I don't think it's easily accessible - I assume it's buried in the CIC somewhere

F25 xDrive20d SE __ professional multimedia package | dynamic package | climate package | 309s | xline | xenons | electric seats | folding mirrors | business speakers
Appreciate 0