09-02-2011, 04:04 AM   #235
sparoz
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: VO 1///M; Macan Turbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by meatpopsicle View Post
...Got a nice little 320i to drive around for that evening. The missus was unimpressed with the quirky interior and cup holders saying the Scenic design was much better....

- The seat lift mechanism is better on the Renault as there is a handle to 'pump' you up. With the X3, you have to 'bounce' on your seat to get it to come up.
- The is no speed limiter function, only a audible warning.
- The handbrake is less intuitive. On the Renault, the handbrake is fully auto meaning as soon as you apply pressure on the accelerator, the handbrake will disengage and when the engine stops it will engage. None of this press the auto-hold business.

Other anonayces:
- The auto stop. I live on a busy road and often have to dart across gaps in the traffic to get into my driveway. The auto stop will stop the engine while I am waiting for said gap.
Remember, BMW didn't win an award for interior design for auxiliary items. Besides the 3er is one of the oldest i the line up. It is always about ergonomics for the driver.

You shouldn't need to bounce up - one hand to engage the lift control, and pull yourself up using the steering wheel.

Not sure if I would personally like to have a setting to limit my actual speed. You never know what situation you might be in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by brissim View Post
I've now gotten use to having to press the auto-hold every time I start the car. But I too also wish the default setting was "ON".

The first couple of days with me I would turn off the auto stop. But I've now got used to it and leave it on the whole time. I've learnt to pre-empt the need for the engine to be on and have no problem in getting a fast getaway. I've also learnt that if you just lightly touch the accelerator, the engine will re-start but still hold you in "auto-hold".

Tony
So, auto park brake was off by default? I was really annoyed with it as I can't inch into my garage and rather have it off at all times.

With auto start stop, you can also have your steering wheel slightly off centre to stop it from engaging.
Appreciate 0