View Single Post
      03-08-2013, 03:06 PM   #5
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiernan View Post
....I'd heard that these things couldn't be repaired, but thought I'd try a few places anyway. Turns out I was right, and none of the places I tried was prepared to touch a run flat tyre. Bottom line is that I'm getting a new tyre fitted this afternoon at a cost of £306!
One of the reasons for having run-flat tyre insurance, for when you need to use the run-flat capability, and scrap the tyre.

The issue of repair is, as has been said, you are using up the "run-on-flat" capacity when you run with a puncture. Technically, if you keep the pressure up once you get a warning, as long as there is an internal inspection a tyre can possibly be repaired.

Many tyre shops here in the UK won't touch them, even if specific tyre manufacturers are saying it can have one repair, (if inspected correctly and is sound). Having spoken with a few decent shops, for one, they don't want to (or can't) carry the insurance liability, and two, they can't trust the customer for the distance driven at partial or zero pressure. As one guy told me, most users will say something like "I've come straight here, only got the warning a couple of miles down the road". Hence the policy of no repairs at all, imposed at many tyre shops.

To be fair I wouldn't trust the integrity of a run-flat, which has been run-on-flat for a distance. For me, it has done the job it was designed for and is now a suspect bit of kit.

HighlandPete
Appreciate 0