04-22-2012, 10:25 PM   #17
Radioactive
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 X3 28i '10 535i '04 325i

Quote:
Originally Posted by swallowtail View Post
Looking at an upgrade to mine. I bought mine with standard sound, knowing that I would be doing this...

Likely install after talking to Northfield will be:

3-way DLS speakers - 6.5" bass units (8" if they can squeeze them in, they will see when they do it) to replace the horrible horrible horrible bass boomy crap things that they call speakers under the seats; 2.5" midranges that will go in the existing front door spots; and new tweeters in the front door / window corner panel. Rear mids stay as they are.

Driven by an ArcAudio ks125.4 mini, bridged to two channels for the fronts. Rear channels (i.e. the mids in the rear doors) remain driven by the head unit's rear channel. No separate sub, but plenty of room to put one in later if needed.
When I first read this I thought you were going to put in a 3 way speaker under the seat. I'm guessing you mean a three way system. Please take note that your installer should model the 6.5" spec's for the box size under the seat. It can change the performance of the bass output and possibly be worse than what you have. Also, not sure but have read that the box is ported and normally a ported box is tuned to a certain low cut off frequency. This could change with a speaker of different spec's. If the box is ported you may want him to line the box with acoustic material to improve performance.

good luck with it
Appreciate 0