View Single Post
      04-10-2011, 09:17 AM   #11
ecnirp
Enlisted Member
Australia
Rep
Drives: .

I've been trying to find out about this too.

http://x3.xbimmers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=487294

Quote:
Originally Posted by acey81 View Post
Think that paddles are reserved for the 35i only for most markets. But are they really useful on a SUV anyhow? And generally, the BMW-paddles are been pretty bad compared to the competition. The shift-up and down on all paddles non-sense didn't really work that well.
The paddles have been re-configured by BMW for recent updates and new models including the F25 X3. They now perform separate up and down shift functions consistent with other manufacturers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nahoa View Post
Bummer to hear you can't get them if you want them. I have them and have tried using them a few times and don't find it very useful. With the eight speed transmission, you're so quickly out of the sweet spot that you're shifting a whole lot in a dynamic situation (hills, curves) etc. Might get more intuitive if I practiced it more, but I found it distracting. It was a bit useful in a situation when you want to force the transmission out of the sweet spot (long, gradual decent at medium speed where the auto keeps you in a lower gear), but then the program only allows you to do that so long.

Dunno if that helps at all. If you already have experience and like them, I'm sure it doesn't!
In my experience, shifting the transmission into sports mode is where the paddles are most useful as it will hold gears for longer giving you more flexibility with when you shift. This can be both useful and fun, even with the diesel engines !
Appreciate 0