View Single Post
      11-23-2011, 02:59 PM   #13
TogMogX3
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X3 F25

Update - Phone cradle vs USB/AUX Ports.

Audio playback is only possible from a phone installed in an armrest cradle when the Aux port (below the USB port) does not have a cable fitted. Please find below an extract from my dealer who was at a loss to understand why audio from my phone was no longer possible.
"What we have discovered is that within the AUX connector there is a signalling changeover switch to the eject box which is all part of where your phone cradle plugs into. This switched changeover signal is used to determine which source of audio is going to be processed for audio playback. When the AUX wire is plugged into the AUX socket, the audio signal from the i-pod is the source for audio playback. This switchover also initiates the display of information about the album, track, play time etc to be displayed on your i-drive screen. When the AUX lead is removed, the switchover within the AUX socket signals that the audio source to be played back is now to be from the (eject box) i-phone 4S".
In short what this means is that you can only expect to hear the audio from your phone if an AUX cable is not fitted. Having the phone and iPod connected will mean that only iPod sound is possible. This fact is not currently published by BMW!
Appreciate 0