View Single Post
      09-29-2014, 04:01 PM   #63
vanosracing
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: none

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matski View Post
As you highlighted yourself, many of these are "Niche" products, and as such, the intention is never for them to be massive sellers. How many times have you heard people complain that a 3 series, or 5 series is "too common"? The GT models allow people to retain a certain degree of exclusivity that has been eroded by the high proportion of 3's and 5's out there. As with the X4 to the X3 and the X6 to the X5.

I think you have to assume BMW did their sums on development costs, there might not be much in it. But at the end of the day people are buying them, and unless the sales are 100% cannibalisation (which I doubt) then offering the choice is helping to retain customers who would have otherwise gone to Audi, Mercedes et al. for something different.

I think the problem is, they are visually challenging.. and many people on many forums use that as an excuse to brand them as pointless or useless - rather then evaluating the relative merits.
I'm sorry but there is nothing exclusive about the GT. Audi has done a very good job with the design of the A5 Sportback and the A7, something BMW tried to mimic and failed. Even BMW NA CEO publicly stated the 5 Series GT was a disappointment in terms of sales. In not offering the F11, BMW owners turned to MB. The 3 Series GT will also disappoint, yes it is roomy but there is no BMW DNA in either car.

As much as I like BMW's, BMW NA has been very disappointing of late with their model selections for NA.
Appreciate 0