10-08-2011, 08:33 PM   #14
Lotus7
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: xxxx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dukat View Post
...New question.. 70F outside, I drove 20 minutes... the hood, near the front 1/3 section is HOT. Very hot. None of my previous cars ever felt a fraction that temperature. Is that normal?

I'll post photos tomorrow.
Of course "HOT" is a subjective term, but the X3 engines, as most newer engines hoping for higher thermal efficiency, operate at temperatures that would have been considered "overheating" a few years ago.

Normal coolant temperature for the X3 is a whopping 105 Deg. C. (221 Deg. F. I initially thought that was a typo, but have checked with an OBD-II reader and my 35i digital coolant temp readings hover between 220 and 226 Degrees F. I honestly think that's why the X3 has no coolant temp. gauge, only the oil gauge. If most "old-school" customers saw a gauge reading 220 degrees, they'd probably bring the car in for repairs. It also means that plain water is really not an option for these engines, even with the cooling system under pressure.

The front 16 inches of the X3 hood (bonnet) is not insulated at all and is directly above that 221 Deg.radiator. It's going to get hot pretty quickly. The rest of the hood will also get pretty hot, but it just takes longer.

220 F. is enough to fry an egg pretty fast, but won't sear a steak, so no frying on the hood!
Appreciate 0