View Single Post
      03-26-2012, 07:48 AM   #23
n55x3
Captain
Rep
Drives: n55 BMWs

Quote:
Originally Posted by GenX3 View Post
Got the tire replaced, finally... I asked for the old tire back so I could take a look and practice repairing the tire... Lo and behold, there was actually a screw in the center of the tread in addition to the nail on the edge of the tire.

I'm going to practice using the technique N55X3 suggested. But I have a question, if the nail was close to the edge, and I plug it, and if it holds air... what's the danger?

Thanks for the input!
I don't think there is any immediate danger in plugging a hole that is on the edge. The biggest problem is that edge, where the tread and sidewalls come together, flexes quite a bit and that can cause small air leaks to develop around your plug. In comparison a plug directly in the tread tends to flex less and remain more static, thus less of a chance for air leak.

Pretty cool you got the old tire to practice on, smart thinking. I say give it a go, fill it with air and monitor for a few days. Under load/weight is the true test but you could still get a feel for your patching skills by just inflating after the patch and keeping an eye on it. You can get the tire plug kit at your local walmart for under $10.
Appreciate 0