View Single Post
      12-13-2013, 10:04 AM   #5
Snowman73
Rep
Drives: X3 3.0d M-Sport Deep Sea Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by wangt86 View Post
oops nothing much. There is a filter they just called it a strainer. Did you take the front passenger wheel off to access the pump or did you go from top down?
I had the same issue on my X3 (2013) and also on my 330d. Basically it is scum (its like a clear jelly) around your strainer. For the 330d - very simple task taking the filter out - X3 - not easy at all - loads of screws to take of the wheel arch cover as well as remove your wheel - they basically designed it this way so it is chargeable - in fact - even though its well known - my dealer said - yes - leave it with us and we will investigate. Luckily I read the thread and cancelled the dealer appointment or I could have been £160 out of pocket.

Basically - I tried removing the wheel - but with runflats in the uk - you do not get a jack with the car!! So couldn't do that - tried to get the wheel arch cover off and couldn't get access to pump (got my fingers on it though) and would have had to remove side skirt fixings and was afraid I would damage the paint work.

So - I used the rear wiper to drain the tank. The poured piping hot water into the tank from a kettle. I also removed the washer pipe and blew air down it (using a bicycle pump) to blow off the slime. Then I bought 5 litres of BMW washer fluid and poured in 3 litres neat and left it for a day or two - suddenly wipers clogged up again so I flushed through the air again and repeated the process - yesterday - my washer fluid said empty so I filled up again and all is well.

Please boil your water and let it cool before topping up your tank - I used a crappy water station at a local garage and this is what happened. As long as you boil your water (plus use BMW wash fluid - a BMW mechanic on this site says they add chemicals to it) and you will not have a problem. Hops this helps!
Appreciate 0