View Single Post
      05-08-2012, 10:16 AM   #11
n55x3
Captain
Rep
Drives: n55 BMWs

I installed a clear film on our X3 last year myself. Kept it on for a couple weeks then took it off. It was clear and not noticable from 10 feet away but as you got closer the seams just stood out. I'm sure to others they may have been a bit more hidden but I just didn't like it. I'm pretty anal about the appearance of our vehichles.

The kit I used can be found here: http://www.clearmask.com/vehicle_page.php

After a year of driving in various conditions the front plastic bumper still looks great, honestly almost no rock chips. However it's the hood that seems to be taking some hits. Not even areas that were covered by the film (my kit basically covered the entire front end including the leading edge of the hood) rather the knicks are higher up on the hood and A pillars. I just touch them up occasionally and the paint does a good job of blending, more so than the appearance of the film.

With all of that being said, everyone's roads are different. I see the OP is in Alaska and I can only imagine the amount of dirt roads you may have to commute. In that case I'd probably see the film as acceptable assuming the pending damage in your area.
Appreciate 0