Akview
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2013 X3 28i 2018 530i

Garage List
2013 X3 28i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by idahoakl
I assume you're talking about the paint protection film made by 3M, Xpel and others. We just put the 3M film on our new X3 and we have the Xpel on our Subaru. The film on the Subaru looks like it did the day it was installed 4 years ago(when I was the car between rain storms in Seattle).

We've done a lot of driving through Oregon, who mistake pea gravel for sand in the winter. The A-pillars of the car have numerous pits on them from getting hit. The only mark on the film is a small nick where a rock hit pretty hard, which I can only imagine what it would have done to the paint had the film not been there.

As far as getting the film put on our X3, I asked our CA who they have do the work and then I contacted the company and had the work done directly through them. Not only did I save money, but the company that did the work is local so they probably made a better profit on the deal, the dealership already has enough of my money. When you pick up the car from getting the film installed go over every inch looking for bubbles and trapped dirt. If you find anything have them fix it or redo the work before you pay them and take the car back.

We have a lighter colored cars (Subaru is silver, X3 is Blue Water Metallic) so the lines on the film don't show up much at all. I've heard the lines show more on darker colors. If that is a big deal you could always consider doing a full front wrap where they put film over the entire hood and fenders, more expensive but no lines.
Just what I wanted to hear. Now to decide how much to cover. But I have time and thinking about what this stuff looks like on my iPhone. Wondering about wax on wax off?
Appreciate 0