View Single Post
      02-14-2012, 03:16 PM   #1
Horsey
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F25 35d MSport & 135i

BMW x3 or RR Evoque

After 10 years my Jeep Grand Cherokee has reached the end of its economic life …

… and so it was time to choose a new car.

Since seeing the Evoque concept some time ago, it was always my intention to get one to replace my aged Jeep.

Time passed … and then just over a week ago a friend told me they were buying an Evoque and persuaded me to go and test drive one …

Of course it would be the only weekend we had Snow in the UK and in my infinite wisdom I chose to take my wife’s BMW 135 M Sport in preference to my 4x4 rust bucket …

… all well and good till 2 am in the morning … now that was an interesting drive home!

… The 135 just has to hear rumours of snow and refuses to move … yes I know, apparently with snow tires its better than a 4x4 … blah blah … but that didn’t help me then!

… anyway I digress …

I was really taken back by the Evoque … it was a really cool looking car and my wife was convinced it was the car for me …

I drove the Prestige 2.2d …

It has a lovely spec and looks cool … but I couldn’t help being frustrated by is narrow rev range and acceleration … that said, it is faster than my Jeep.

… but I am spoilt by the 135.

The toys were cool, especially the polarised touch screen which allows the passenger to watch TV while the driver sees the Sat Nav.

The sales person was just about to demonstrate the parking assist … and somehow just as we were all watching the rear view camera and the wheel magically turn itself … *CRASH* … a Mini smashed straight into the back of us!

… The jury is out as to whether we drove into them or they drove into us … needless to say the parking sensors didn’t beep and we didn’t see a thing in the camera until the car shook from the impact … I am pretty sure it was the Mini drivers fault …

… needless to say, as cool as a toy which tells you whether a space is big enough to park in, it really helps to feel responsible and actively look for risks rather than “watch” your car do it for you … one can trust tech too much …

… thankfully it was the sales assistant driving not me … but I do feel bad for him.

Nevertheless, I thought the care was cool, although I would have preferred something with more grunt …

Anyway I was seriously considering buying the demo model (the other demo model) which the sales person said I could have in a month.

… next day, out of nowhere a friend suggested that I try the BMW x3 …

And so I did …

Remembering the days when we looked at a 1 series for my wife and we tried the 2 litre (or whatever it was) and were thoroughly disappointed until we drove the 135 (she used to have a Boxter S) … I made a point of trying the x3 35d …

WOW … what a cool car to drive.

It doesn’t have the presence of the Evoque, but I am the one on the inside and I have to drive it … and the x3 35d was just too much fun.

My wife was seriously unimpressed when I told her that I was considering the x3 over the Evoque …

… the next weekend I arranged for us both to try the 2.0 Petrol Evoque (in the hope it would have more grunt) and have her try the 35d to try and convince her it really was like driving her 135 (well sort of).

The 2.0l Petol Evoque does have more grunt … but it does whine through the range and still feels like hard work … also the Dynamic seems even more claustrophobic than the Prestige thanks to its sport seats … not helped that the petrol didn’t have the panoramic sun roof …

…and there I was, wanting to get the Evoque because it looked cool and my wife and the world wanted me to get one … and inside pining for the performance of the 35d.

We then went swiftly to the BMW dealer so I could show her the 35d …

… I still can’t defend the x3 looks compared to the Evoque … and my wife was thoroughly unimpressed with me having dragged her there.

… but after she drove it … she admitted that maybe the decision was not as clear cut as she had thought …

… and so the dilemma continue.

… with the Evoque dealer holding an employees cancelled slot for me, guaranteeing me an 8 week delivery when apparently there is a 12 month waiting list …

… everyone was telling me to get the Evoque and that I would be a fool to buy the BMW …

What a hard day it was …

… well in the end I decided that even though the Evoque was likely to be better off road …. Yes my Jeep spends its weekends in a field … always getting stuck in heavy mud … that at the end of the day, I spend most of my life on tarmac … and as cool as the Evoque is to look at … I am on the inside, and I don’t care … I have to drive it!

The Evoque just feels that bit too cramped … and paradoxically, unless I am complexly mistaken… the Evoque is WIDER than the x3 thanks to the Evoque’s enormous ears (Mirrors).

I didn’t think that a passenger (ok, my wife) being able to watch TV while I drive everywhere was enough of a reason … (and now I find DVD InMotion … am I brave enough to use it on a new BMW …)

… and so, with a deep intake of breath … I abandoned my original plans and everyone’s desire for me to buy an Evoque … and I ordered an x3.

The stress has been terrible … but somehow I feel better now having finally paid the deposit and the dilemma is over …

… I think I have made the right choice, but everyone I know (except 2 people) are telling me I am a fool.

Time will tell …

Not one to do anything by halves, I have ordered a fully loaded x3 35d M Sport …

Including …

HUD*
TV*
Professional Media package *
Visibility package*
Cold weather package
Access package
Electric seat adjustment
Variable Damper Control
Electric Tow Bar*
Panoramic Sun Roof
Professional Sound*
Top view camera*
Internet*

*Haven’t seen a demo, so my car will be the first time I see the features …

Etc …

I think the only option I left off was the boot compartment split netting 

I am pretty sure some of the features are probably frivolous ….

… the only feature I wish BMW I could have chosen was wasn’t available was an “Auxiliary Heating feature” to pre-warm the car in winter … but they don’t do it on the x3 …

I am curious as to whether anyone has managed to get any Discount on a UK 2012 x3 … what would be considered a “good” deal?

Well the order has been placed … I now have to wait 10 weeks!

… I have a few days to settle on the colour …

… a whole new nightmare …

My wife and mother have picked “White” … I am not sure I have a choice …

White looks nice, but is a bit WAG …

… I am sure it will be constantly filthy!

I will be happy once I am past the point of no return and the choice is out of my hands!

… although I am thinking of getting it made up in a Zebra print Vehicle Wrapping … but that’s probably too crass!

One thing I would like to know is how fuel economy compares in real life …

… if you take manufacturers specs for combined fuel economy

BMW 135 – 43.5 mpg (45.7mpg)*
BMW X3 35d MS – 48.7mpg
Evoque Petrol – 40.9mpg (43mpg)*
Evoque Diesel – 49.7mpg
Jeep Grand Cherokee – 39.2mpg

*normalised for Petrol/Diesel fuel price differential.

The Evoque doesn’t have a significant efficiency advantage over the x3 35d …

But when you factor the 0-60mph times …

BMW 135 – 5.6s
BMW X3 35d MS – 5.8s
Evoque Petrol – 7.1s
Evoque Diesel – 8s
Jeep Grand Cherokee – 8.2 (And mine does 9.6s after 12 years)

Is it true that for “similar” (in the loosest sense) efficiency … the 35d is massively quicker?

… how?

Anyway, I don’t know if I have made the right choice in terms of long term value, but I feel loads better having chosen the x3

Just hope I am happy with the colour!

Anyway, it’s a bit after the event, but I have really enjoyed reading everybody’s postings here … it’s a fine community and I thought I would contribute …

Thanks for sharing

P.S. Sorry if it was too waffley … and I will be sure to report back when I get it in … god … 10 weeks … how will I pass the time!
Appreciate 0