View Single Post
      11-23-2012, 01:06 PM   #38
chx437
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW X3(G01)

With the rear flasher bulbs I found that you need 8.2 ohm or smaller resistor to replace the original 21W incandescent lamp so that the bulb monitoring validates the bulb Ok. The power dissipation in that resistor is then roughly the same than in the original 21W bulb (surprise, surprise…), so 5 W is far from enough.

The BA15s base amber or red LEDs from Super Bright Leds is said (in their web pages) to use about 0,175 A which makes the power dissipation of the LEDs to be 2,1W (with nominal 12V supply) so something more is needed to validate the bulb monitoring. A “raw” solution is to have parallel resistors with the LEDs but a more elegant solution is to turn off the monitoring with parameter programming (…pacecapt has good notes and experience about this, see this thread above). I personally used 10 ohm/25 W parallel resistors and I put these relative big resistors into the sides of the trunk (underneath the side covers). I also found the above 2.1 W LED bulbs to be a bit too dim to overcome the brightness of the original 21W bulb.

I have also LED bulbs in front flashers but surprisingly there were no bulb monitoring error messages even though I did not use any extra resistors there, so the monitoring for the front flasher bulb must be “milder
Appreciate 0