11-17-2013, 07:32 PM   #10
barcelona
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: X

Quote:
Originally Posted by scotta2 View Post
I am a bit concerned at the amount of miles to be covered before BMW advise that the oil and filter need to be changed. My car has covered 11k miles and is 12 months old now and still has no requirement for an oil change. Now I know that fully synthetic oils offer a high degree of lubrication and protection but I would tend to think that at least an annual oil change may be necessary.

I'm sure that the engine design and research people at BMW will have done exhaustive (pardon the pun) testing and the oil change regime will provide adequate engine protection but does it?

My previous car was a Volvo XC60 and it had real issues with diesel ingress into the oil sump due to DPF regens not being fully completed. This obviously diluted the oil lubrication properties and caused great concern amongst the Volvo forum contributors.

Do any of you change the oil more frequently than the suggested intervals?

Under warranty, the dealer would change oil every year regardless of low mileage. I would change every 6 months despite low mileage. Be kind to your engine. Lots of threads on oil changes and engine sludge.
Appreciate 0