Thread: The size of HDD
View Single Post
      11-12-2011, 09:59 AM   #15
walendvay
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '11 F25 28i; '13 E84 35i

The OS is QNX. The key is you'll need to have a copy of QNX running somewhere (either an old PC or via VMWARE). You'll need to find a QNX utility that will allow you to resize the partition for the user area for music.

Within LINUX, you should be able to make a clone of the drive if your goal is to reduce boot time. you can clone the drive in linux. It's within QNX where you'd have to go and resize the partitions.

You should be able to do this w/o having the car recoded/reloaded, or whatever you want to call it. As long as you do a copy of the hard drive, the software/firmware within the car will be agnostic to the hard drive hardware. On some other forums, people have replaced the 4200rpm drive with a 5400rpm drive and were able to see boot times decrease. An SSD will be even faster!

I am guessing in a couple of years, Harmon/Becker will move to a SATA 1.5 or SATA 3.0 based drive, which will allow for more hard drive options. I see Toshiba already sells an automotive SATA drive in a larger capacity. I'd plan for this for your next car, maybe.

Taking the drive out, doing a clone, and trying a new drive isn't very invasive. I'd suggest cutting the power to the car if you remove the hard drive. The hard drive does write/read data after the car is completely off (I hear mine hammering away).

Non automotive drives may be a bit quieter. An SSD would be silent for obvious reasons.

Have fun!
Appreciate 0