View Single Post
      01-19-2019, 05:49 PM   #8
Oilverland
Red-gistered
Rep
Drives: 2016 X3 F25 xDrive 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Can Pharaoh View Post
I have another thread started about rear differential, the noise you're referring to here seems to be the same I'm having, I went to the dealer, they diagnosed it as rear differential failure and the whole rear differential to be changed, ...
In that thread you describe it as a "whining ( kind of rrrrrr) that increases with speeding." Mine is a rumble, most like wind buffeting you can get with one window open. One will only hear it between 55-65 mph or so, and it is a fixed frequency, not affected my the speed of anything that rotates. So I don't think these are the same symptoms.

Note that my car has the Dynamic Performance Control rear diff. Does yours have that or the stock diff?

BTW if you do have a differential failure, and it's not covered by a warrantee, I don't know about BMW diffs, but some can be rebuilt. You can also get a used one, sometimes with a warrantee. Try carparts.com for used parts. Or do the usual Web search. Right now I cant find "differential" on their site for my rig. Then you need a mechanic to install it. Mine will but he charges extra. I had good luck doing this for a Jeep transfer case, except the first one was damaged in shipping, but the vendor made good on it, sent another.
Appreciate 0