View Single Post
      12-22-2011, 12:24 PM   #43
BBMk
Enlisted Member
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2012 X3 BMW newbie

Thanks for the info gentlemen ... my dealer is telling me I have to buy the "$70 special data cable." Basically tried to connect my NANO (3rd gen ) and IPOD classic with no results - the usb menu on the screen did not light up. Then I tried a USB thumbdrive with MP3s and it works perfectly with Album art. ( BTW - the BMW sales rep said I wouldn't get the album art feature...but I was pretty sure he was wrong. I just didn't say anything. )

I have the Technology pak ( without NAV ) so according to Xbimmer threads I should be able to use the new (current) Apple IPOD cable. I tried connecting with the UBS to Apple connectors without success. The new cable is slimmer ( the connector piece that goes into your ipod is about the same size the plastic part sticking out...the old cable the plastic part is about twice the size in length ) Apple rewired the cable that's why you need to new(current) USB to Apple cable.(about $5 dollars on craigslist or kijiji ) or $21 from Applestore.

I asked the service manager if the cable should come with the car since I ordered the Technology Pak...he said NO never...it's a special BMW cable.

To the above post...yes I think to can save Playlist files on your USB thumbdrive so you can play only the songs that are on the playlist. I will try it and let you know.
Appreciate 0