Thread: UK Orders
View Single Post
      07-30-2012, 10:47 AM   #2166
Kiernan
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: X3M Competition/911 GTS

Cropwell, thanks for taking the time to write that; appreciate your input.

In answer to your queston, I haven't tried the auto box, but I'm having a drive next weekend. However, I don't expect to be tempted as I just love manual gearboxes and get bored with automatics after a few months. By way of background information, I bought a DCT equipped (twin clutch, flappy paddle) M3 in 2008 when they first came out. At first, I loved the thing - the auto mode was nice and smooth, in manual mode it was far better than I am at changing gear, and it made the most of the engine's consderable power. However, after a few months I started to have doubts, and after a year I grew to really dislike the gearbox. The last straw came when I drove a friends 320d, complete with gearstick and clutch pedal, and loved the process of changing gear. A few weeks later a manual M3 had been ordered , and a trade in agreed on the DCT car. Still have my M3 and wouldn't change to DCT for the world. All the other people on the M3 forums rave about DCT and the like, so I just have to accept that I'm some sort of luddite.

I know I'm going to lose money by not getting the auto, but I'm buying the car for me, not the next owner. Suppose it's the price we have to pay for being enthusiasts.

On the wheels, my current E83 has sport suspension and 19" wheels which, according to the press, should shake my fillings out at the very thought of a bump in the road. Sure, it's a bit 'knobbly' at times, but the payback is excellent handling for a 4x4. As long as the new car isn't any harder riding, I'm sure it'll be fine.

Like I say, I'm test driving a car at the weekend, so if need be I can change the spec (have another couple of weeks according to the dealer) so let's see what happens.
Appreciate 0