11-22-2010, 10:14 AM   #7
T89
Lieutenant Colonel
Switzerland
Rep
Drives: Z4 35i & Mini Cooper S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Croatian View Post
Thanks for your review, especially the following comment :"Steering without servotronic felt light." The same thing my dealer told me that servotronic is good and is not the same as a similar system offered before. Another reason for steering feeling light is the smaller engine. I drove 320i e92 and the steering felt really light, with a bigger engine same car with same options the steering is heavier (I presume it has to do with the weight of the engine as well). Anyways I will order mine (3.0d) with servotronic and it will also be space gray!
I would say that steering feel around town at low speeds is almost, if not exactly the same with or without servotronic. It's when you get up to speeds on the highway that you feel a difference. With servotronic the steering becomes heavier. That way the car feels more stable.

I'm not so sure about a bigger engine making the steering heavier. I think it depends more on the tires/wheel combination. 320i would normally come with smaller wheels than say a 335i. There's a difference when switching between winter and summer sets. My summers are 19' and winters 17'. Steering becomes lighter with winters on. I have servotronic.

T
Appreciate 0