View Single Post
      05-30-2012, 03:59 PM   #11
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogerbu View Post
I am obvioussly thick - How do I kinow if the DPF regen is taking place - or (perhaps more importantly) has taken place?

Do any of the 'hidden menus' tell me when it last regen'd the DPF?
The driver can be virtually un-aware of a regeneration.

My experience...

If regularly making long trips you may not detect a regeneration. I only used to catch/identify the occasional one, when my mileage was higher and making more longer trips.

For me, auto gearbox behaviour is usually the first sign, holds the engine speed up. The engine can have more of a gruff note and can be a bit hesitant if you are using the rev band, mpg will drop off (if OBC has had a recent reset). If running the ECT display, temperature will climb to mid/high 90 range. Then there is the burning smell and extra heat in the exhaust system, if you stop during, or just after a regeneration.

Of recent times my mpg drops off as regeneration time approaches. I'd say if I'm driving locally, I get a regeneration about every 300 miles or so, on average* at present time.

*BMW state regenerations occur at about 300 - 500 mile intervals. Also power may drop off a bit during a regeneration.

HighlandPete
Appreciate 0