View Single Post
      05-30-2012, 09:02 AM   #7
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by KF View Post
Range Rover will not bring the eight speed RR's into Australia because the open road cruising revs are too low for the particulate filters to regenerate.

The solution for the city diesels was to get out into the countywide and hold at over 2000 revs to regenerate the PF. Eight speed X3's need to be doing 140kph to be doing over 2000rpm. The English AA have found a recurrence of the PF problem with the very high geared current crop of diesels after getting on top of the problem five or six years back.

It appears that BMW has chosen to drop the adblue system when their cars most need it.

I am parking the X3 for about two weeks at Melbourne Airport so will not be able to progress this problem, but far form being a driving style problem it is starting to look like BMW has got it wrong. They have got a motor that should not be driven solely in the city or solely in open road conditions.Our April drive of 14,000km included many days of 700 and up 860km in a day.
KF
I don't understand why the latest diesels have an additional issue, as in my E91 the regeneration (post injection heat up strategy) will start in 6th gear, at around 1,600 rpm (60 mph) on a cruise. If driving slower, the auto gearbox holds a lower gear, until you get fast enough to run around the 1,500 - 1,600 rpm mark, then it changes up.

I still suspect there is some issue, rather than driving conditions. What speed and rpm are you typically cruising?

HighlandPete
Appreciate 0