Thread: GLK vs X3
View Single Post
      05-11-2011, 05:22 PM   #5
Beyu
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135i

Not really a comparison since it's a SUV vs sedan but I think I might be going back to MB when the new C class coupe comes out later this year. The X3 is a awesome car but some little things about it annoy me such as the idrive system, turn signals, and transmission.

iDrive: Widely criticized by magazines and owners alike, the main argument is that the system is harder to use than it needs to be. I honestly don't think iDrive is as bad as what magazines say but it's not very user friendly either, there are more menus and sub-menus than there needs to be. Scrolling through artists when you decided to change to another one you start from the beginning, meaning if your last chosen artist started with a T and you decided to change you'll now have to scroll from A all the way back to T. This is pretty dangerous to do while driving and you'll have to either use one hand to steer and one to scroll or wait until the next stoplight.

Turn Signals: I guess I'm just not very use to the turn signals yet but I don't like the fact that the turn signals pop back to the resting position after using them. Occasionally after signaling the light keeps on blinking and I have to pop it in the other direction just to have it start signaling in that direction. Or the signal pops off after a light turn and I end up changing lanes with out them, as if people don't think BMW drivers are a-holes already.

Transmission: This isn't an issue if you're driving in automatic but it is when you drive with the paddle shifters or have it in sport +. Either I haven't gotten use to the car or I just suck at life but I feel like it's difficult to judge your rpm when basing it off of the mph. Many times when downshifting for a turn or going up a hill I find myself downshifting more than I thought I would because each gear only raises the rpm by 500 or less.

Sorry for the long post guys. I'm not trying to bash the X3 in any way but I feel like these are some of the things I find annoying about the car. All the issues listed are things that I think MB does better but that's not to say MB is a better car company, I can think of a million things wrong with the brand.

Also Great post Mako, my 1st car was a E class which was not my choice but two years later I got a C class due to how sporty and awesome the car looked. While my folks were working out the pricing for a 3 series in the mean time I walked across the street to the a Mercedes dealership and instantly fell in love with the car.
Appreciate 0