View Single Post
      05-11-2011, 08:05 AM   #56
Harplayr
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW X3 28i, F25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultimate Driver View Post
Rather unwisely, I will stick my head into this very opinionated discussion and give my 2c on the experiences of F25 vs E83. I had a first generation E83 and also the revamped E83 model from 2007, before moving to the 2011 X3. Put very simply, the overall quality of the car has improved immensely with each new update. However if I rated the ride quality, things are somewhat different, although not by much.

Comfort-wise, there is no doubt the new 2011 wins hands down. The old E83s sometimes felt like they were intent on making me throw up after every meal I had. I will concur with those who said that feeling every pothole on the pavement does not equate to good handling. I will not even start on the various strange body structure sounds emanating from the E83s - some of them were quite scary .

The first E83 was easily the most spartan model. In terms of handling though, the worst performer (at least in my case) was the 2007 E83. It still had all the ride discomfort of the first generation but not as much stability and road grip (don't get me even started on the famous gear shifting problems). The F25 (and I have a 28i with no damping control) is by far the best performer (although to be really fair I would have to test it in winter). Yes, the steering feedback is different from before, but the road grip is there and (after lowering the tire pressure somewhat) I do not feel every bump in the road.

So IMHO, the F25 is a much better car than the E83. But then, I have a friend who still swears that BMW hasn't made a good product since the old 2002 so "de gustibus non discutarum"
I was wondering what you lowered the tire pressure to?
Also what size wheels are you running?

I also had a 2004 and a 2010 X3 and agree with what you said about those versions.
With the bad roads here I chose to stick with the 17” wheels.
Appreciate 0