09-18-2011, 02:06 AM   #16
Lotus7
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: xxxx

Quote:
Originally Posted by troggy1969 View Post
3.0D only comes in auto, if you look on the spec in includes hill start assist.
I wonder if that's a typo in the spec sheet carried over from the manual transmission models. It's possible that the 30D auto would roll backwards in Drive on a steep slope, but, of course if it did, a little pressure on the accelerator would hold it. There's no real need for the Hill Start Assist with an automatic transmission.

The last published BMW description of the "Hill Start Assist" describes it's operation as:

"The feature ONLY activates if all the following are true:

a) You are at a complete stop
b) The clutch is pressed
c) The brakes are engaged
d) The car is in first gear"

Sure sounds like it applies to manual transmissions only. BUT:

Curiously, although the NA spec cars (28i and 35i) do not list "Hill Start Assist" as a feature, the NA spec does mention something called "Start-off Assistant" which sounds like it may be the same thing. However, there is no mention of this feature in the Owner's Manual.

NA cars also have something called "Brake Assistant" but that actually refers to a system that boosts braking force under emergency-stop conditions. On NA cars there is no control to disable that feature.

I've driven my 35i (automatic) up 15 degree service ramps, and if you don't keep the revs up a little the car will certainly roll backwards while in Drive, so there does not seem to be any system to hold it on hills without using the engine even though the spec sheet mentions "Start-off Assistant.

The common complaint against using HSA in manual transmission cars is when trying to parallel park while the car is pointing uphill. Depressing the clutch and letting the car roll backwards into a parking space is blocked. You have to shift into reverse instead of just letting the car roll as you depress the clutch.
Appreciate 0