View Single Post
      09-01-2011, 07:44 PM   #233
meatpopsicle
Rep
Drives: F25 X3

Well, I finally took delivery. My company finally came through with the pro-forma so it was a big relief. I made sure to get a gift for the corporate secretary since it was not something she would normally do.

Anyway, pick up was slated for Tuesday but I think the transport from Clayton was full so they bumped me 12 hours. Got a nice little 320i to drive around for that evening. The missus was unimpressed with the quirky interior and cup holders saying the Scenic design was much better. We made sure to get the most out of it by cruising down to St Kilda for some dessert.

Finally got the call the next day at around lunch time. Clean and tidy with 18km on the clock. I also ordered the boot liner which they did not install so I had to make the salesman get his hands dirty. Free umbrella and a full tank, no other extras.

So, first impressions. Of course you have to compare it with ones current car (Renault Scenic Phase II)
- The seat lift mechanism is better on the Renault as there is a handle to 'pump' you up. With the X3, you have to 'bounce' on your seat to get it to come up.
- The is no speed limiter function, only a audible warning.
- The handbrake is less intuitive. On the Renault, the handbrake is fully auto meaning as soon as you apply pressure on the accelerator, the handbrake will disengage and when the engine stops it will engage. None of this press the auto-hold business.

Other anonayces:
- The boot liner with the fold out bumper cover (as per the brochure) is crap. The fold out bit is just glued to the back of the liner and there is no retraction mechanism so you have to flop it over the interior. If you want a tidy look, you have to fold in under the liner, but it will bulge the liner if the fold out bit is not lying flat.
- The auto stop. I live on a busy road and often have to dart across gaps in the traffic to get into my driveway. The auto stop will stop the engine while I am waiting for said gap.

I was also very surprised by the insurance premium. $580 at the highest excess which is actually cheaper than my 6 year old Scenic.
Appreciate 0