View Single Post
      01-30-2012, 09:59 PM   #4
RhoXS
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2002 Z3 3.0i + 2016 X3 28i

At least in the US, it is my understanding a minimal additive/detergent package is required by law in all gasoline. This is to prevent degradation that can cause emission problems. I also understand all well known premium grade gasolines have an upgraded additive package. That being the case, imo, there is absolutely no reason to waste money and add unneccessary aftermarket additives. I also just don't like the idea of putting some techy sounding chemical (like Techron) in my engine without seeing some true independent testing that 1) its not harmful, 2) it actually does some good, and 3) it is actually needed.

I have a Z3 I purchased new in Nov 2002 with 53 miles on it. It now has 132k miles and runs like the day I drove it off the dealers lot. Of course it gets a Mobile 1 oil change every 8K miles or so and the engine is kept clean enough to eat of of it but there have been no additives and only brand names premium gasoline.

In my opinion, using additives in a well maintained car in good mechanical condition is a waste of money.
Appreciate 0