View Single Post
      03-24-2013, 08:50 AM   #11
lair12
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2012 X3 35i, 2016 X1, 2020 X3

Folks, I think I finally have resolve the issue with my stereo, but it was neither quick nor easy. After attempting to move the amplifiers in other areas of the hatch and turning them different directions, I was never able to consistently eliminate the conflict with the comfort access antenna system. Grounded sheet metal over the compartment did not help either.

After speaking with JL audio tech support, it became clear that I somehow what have to find a 12 V turn on wire it was switched to the ignition and did not get power until the engine started, or at least until the start button was pushed. Unfortunately, not a single circuit in the rear fuse box had this capability, as they all possessed 12 V even when the car was off.

So I had to run a wire from the rear hatch where the amplifiers relocated to the front fuse box located behind the glove box on the passenger side. This entailed drop in the foot well panel and removing the glove box and then checking to find an acceptable tie-in point. Surprisingly, almost all the circuits in this fuse box also possess 12 V at all times. But eventually I discovered fuse number 24 which seems to have the characteristics I need.

I use this opportunity to also run to cables from both amplifiers which allow additional remote audio control of one or both channels of each amplifier from a front located potentiometer. The unit is called a JL Audio HD–RLC remote level control. I have 2 four-channel amps in the hatch driving front speakers, under seat subwoofers, rear speakers and new speakers in the d-pillars. With this control I can boost the subwoofers or the rear D pillar speakers to change my base level sound and/or the volume of sound coming from deep in the back of the car.

After a long day yesterday, all seems be working appropriately without interference of the comfort access system. Thanks for all you help along the way.
Appreciate 0