View Single Post
      04-12-2015, 09:30 AM   #14
Jordster
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: X3 xDrive 28i

Quote:
Originally Posted by djjohnr View Post
I didn't find the power in the 15 to qualify as competent. I haven't driven the 16, but there's only so much you can do with that little horsepower.

A few mass market CUVs I tested that outperformed the CX5:

- Ford Escape 6 cylinder: fast and actually handles really well. Fugly though.

- Kia Sportage SX: fast and stiff, although unrefined handling. Steering wheel angle sucks, roofline is short and it's kinda fugly.

- VW Tiguan R Line: handles better then anything else I test drove. Not quite quick enough. Trunk space is tiny.
1. There hasn't been a Ford Escape 6-cylinder in 5+ years. The Turbo (is that what you meant?) is quick, but barely faster than the CX5, recommends premium gas and gets MUCH worse mileage.

2. Kia Sportage is available with a V6 but drives like an unrefined turd, as you say.

3. The Tiguan is the size of an X1 or Q3, and not comparable to the X3 or Q5 that the OP asked about. It's also slow for it's size and fuel consumption.

The 2015 CX5 has plenty of power (185 hp, 184 lb-ft torque) but the transmission always wanted to upshift, so the only way to use the power was to keep your foot down or use the shifter and shift manually. I can see how you would confuse this with not having enough power - my in-laws made the same judgment and ended up buying a RAV4. (ughhh). The 2016 adds a Sport mode so that the transmission will allow you to enjoy the power more, and only does it's crazy upshift-to-save-gas trick in normal mode.