View Single Post
      06-16-2011, 11:34 AM   #13
Beyu
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135i

I'm pretty sure you're following the right procedure to get the car into the car wash Mole. Although I'm curious why someone else would be driving your X3 into the machine assuming it's the normal car washes that you find at gas stations & Costco.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LEDZEP View Post
Hand washing my X3 is certainly a time consuming job (not as much as for my black X5 though), but it is a labor of love. I never take a vehicle through a car wash, or any fund-raiser wash, etc. In the dead of winter when I cannot wash it, I take it to a nearby "touchless" wash that uses only water pressure and no material ever touches the vehicle.
Not only time consuming but I think there's a general stigma of washing your car yourself in some areas of the country or at least that's the case where I live. I'd prefer to wash cars myself as I can do a much better job than some machine and at a fraction of the cost. However, people in my area view washing your car at home bad unless you do it over grass because they don't like seeing the runoff going into drains and sewers which supposibly flows into lakes & streams messing up salmon and other animal's habitat.

Two weeks ago I tried going to a self serve car wash for the first time and it actually turned out decently but I still prefer doing it at home. The problem is I wanted to wax my car afterwards but wasn't going to do it at the car wash since it'll be out in the open, exposing the car to dirt, pollen, etc so I had to do it at home. While the weather was pretty nice that day I'd imagine on other days it wouldn't be a very good idea to wax or polish a car after driving it 5-10 miles. Plus the self serve cost about $8 and 30-45 mins (brought my own soap and a bucket) verses the $12 at a automatic one and you get to sit in your car.
Appreciate 0