View Single Post
      09-01-2012, 06:32 PM   #8
jdg857
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2012 X5 XDrive 35d

Update

I finally had time to investigate this issue today and took the liftgate cover off.
It wasn't that difficult, after I found the two Torx #20 screws in the handle recesses. The first photo shows the torx driver in the handle recess. The other nine attachment points just pop out--these are shown in the second photo. It's a little tricky dealing with the rear window trim, but it comes loose easily. Disconnected the switch harness for the tailgate lock, and the cover came free. I removed the license plate to pop out the handle after removing the switch. after I removed the handle I put the switch back in it's place and found that the handle was pressing the switch closed all the time. I carefully bent the plastic so that it would only engage the switch when pulled. The third photo shows the switch and handle after I bent the plastic. The fourth photo is where the handle fits above the license plate. After I reassembled everything the switch works again and the liftgate doesn't release when I open the driver's door. After two visits to the dealer and a reprogram of modules, I was relieved to finally have a solution.
Attached Images

2011 X3 after a long dry spell, the fun is back.
2012 X5 Diesel -- loving it!
Appreciate 0