11-25-2011, 09:37 PM   #16
Steve30dMSport
Banned
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2011 X3 30D M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Le Chef View Post
Why would you bother - it's a truck not a sports car. Spend the money on a used Miata/MX5 and autocross or track it. Much better FROI.
I totally agree with you Chef. I have a younger brother who has ruined three cars over the years by modding them to the point where the dash rattles and the ride is horrible. His best effort was a mint 1986 Alfa Romeo GTV6 bought for $22k which he spent about $30k on new wheels, tyres, lower roll centre, engine mods, suspension mods, seats etc etc etc. The car was eventually undrivable for more than about 5 mins and he sold it a couple of years later to the guy he bought it off for $9k. Total loser.

I think it is cheaper to pay for the car which has all the features and performance you want instead of buying something else and trying to improve on it. Don't get me wrong, I understand the reasons and do sympathise with them but you are much better off buying a car designed for that performance then modding something that is not. Suspension and brakes are designed for the performance of the car. When you improve the performance you may be pushing the capabilities of the other components.
Appreciate 0