View Single Post
      02-05-2012, 05:36 AM   #36
Fatal Flash
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M2/i8/M3 GTS3/335is/KTM390 Cup

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfax View Post
OK, good to know, I didn't know this to be fair and I keep an open mind as I'm new to BMW and have heard a lot about how unreliable LRs are. I'm still not sure on how the newest models can be "extremely reliable" though. Reliable as in when they are new they don't go wrong? Or are we talking 5+ years?
See my response below In my opinion (everyone is different), reliability is up to 70k, 4-5 years. At that point, all different things can begin to fail depending on the certain type of vehicle. It's a roll of the die.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedevils View Post
The evoque is not made in the traditional land rover plant. It is made at the jaguar plant in halewood england. The new jags received awards from JD powers for their reliability. The LR2's (made at halewood) reliability jumped up considerably from the freelander it replaced. Reliability is unknown with the evoque. It has the potential to be good and should not be judged on previous range rover/land rovers made at other factories.
Correct. And now with TATA Motors as the parent company (after previously dumping FORD), it should be a completely different face. LR has faced their generalized reputation of "unreliable" in their pre-2006/2007 models. As a personal owner of a 2007 RRS to 70k, I had not ONE failure during my ownership from 25k-70k miles. I had a glitch with my airbag sensor which I repaired myself, and it was a FORD relay. I went in ONCE for an air compressor. [$600 fix under warantee] (My obsession with access/offroad mode could have been a great catalyst to its failure.) It's a great surprise to hear that LR is making record sales and having an amazing past few months. The Evoque was sold out for 4-5 months+ wait around Thanksgiving! I see lots of potential for this company in the coming years. The Evoque is a complete stray from their regular brand lineup. With these new exotic designs for the Discovery etc., who knows what's in the works.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfax View Post
Thanks for posting. It's good to see opinions of people who haven't gone for BMW and it's an interesting read but this statement doesn't make any sense at all to me

I quite like the look of the Evoque but it simply isn't comparable to the X3 because of its size as I understand it. X1 maybe. Maybe I need to get in one to check. I also don't like the back at all - it looks ridiculous frankly

Proper Range Rovers like the Vogue are awesome and if money was no object....

Not convinced on RRS or the Evoque personally
My statement reflected that I was going to give the X3 another shot after seeing this thread...I'm obsessed with the design of the Evoque. It's simply unparalleled to anything on the road right now. It's all a matter of personal preference

Enjoy your X3! I was hot on the 20D M Sport two years ago...the car never came to this day. If it was out back in 2010 I'd probably be an X3 owner right now. It's a bit ludicrous that they produce them here and SHIP them to Europe and don't let us purchase them. I'm a huge fan of BMW and it's my #1 brand which I vouch for day in / day out. In my personal opinion though, I just don't see how exterior/interior of the X3 is really THAT much better as others state. The "driving" experience of the vehicle is the only thing I see keeping it afloat. [ From an aggressive LR fan torn in between ]
Appreciate 0