View Single Post
      01-20-2009, 07:08 PM   #17
Johnn
Rep
Drives: 2004 X3 2.5i

Quote:
Originally Posted by lindseynobles View Post
The drivers side low beam bulb burned out, and I'm trying to figure out how to change that on my own, where I bought the car (nissan dealership) told me the light bulb alone would be 90 dollars, the BMW dealership said they would replace the lightbulb and the labor would be about 89 dollars. I priced the bulb at autozone and it's about 17 dollars, so if anyone knows how to pop the cover off the backside of the light bulb I would be happy to hear what tips you might have. Thanks!!
You have to confirm first whether you have Xenons or not.

From what the Nissan dealer said about the cost of the bulbs, and the BMW dealer's quote on labor, it sounds as though you do.

The Autozone price sounds like a standard Halogen bulb.

Your Owner's Manual gives you instructions for replacing the standard bulbs if that is the lighting system you have.

If Xenons, the manual tells you they last a really long time, but to have a dealer do it if they do go out.

There is a youtube video of a guy doing the Xenons - looks fiddly but fairly straightforward for a handy and patient person - he said it took 30 mins. the first time he did it.

The driver side is the easier one, as on the passenger side you need to take off the windshield washer bottle to get sufficient access.

Have not needed to do this myself, but I have seen the Xenon bulbs on ebay from BMW parts sellers for more like $50 than $90.
Appreciate 0