View Single Post
      04-11-2012, 12:09 PM   #129
clivem2
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X3 M40i

I contacted the UK MD (his office, I doubt he's seen my email). My email was then sent to the UK National Service Manager. Here's a list of my concerns:

1) Wind noise from about 60 mph, it sounds like the car is being driven on a blustery day even in still conditions. This noise almost certainly emanates from the large mirrors but it should not enter the cabin.

2) Traffic noise - other vehicles, particularly on the motorway, can be heard loudly. The level of traffic noise is commensurate with wet weather even though the road is dry.

3) External noises such as people talking, passing trucks and car stereos are at a level I would expect from a convertible with soft top (ie not a metal roof).

4) When driving on local roads at say 30 mph in the wet I can hear the water sloshing from the tyres. I'm well aware the RFTs tend to be more noisy than normal tyres but this is not tyre noise per se. Our Mini One is far quieter on wet roads that the X3.[/QUOTE]

I have now heard back from Customer Services following my writing to the BMW UK MD.

I am told that the noise level in the cabin is determined to be a characteristic of the vehicle and that BMW Germany have advised that no modifications will be released for my vehicle, as they believe that no fault is present on my vehicle.

My expectations are clearly in advance of what BMW believe they should be. BMW seem happy with the the X3 being noisier than other similar vehicles.