Thread: Unbelieveable
View Single Post
      01-13-2014, 09:33 PM   #6
DrWatt
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW X3 M40i

Thanks to all of you replied. When I called Corporate Offices, they were actually in Columbus, Ohio. I went to three levels of support until I reached what they call the "Genius Group".

I will try to keep this short. The person I talked to acknowledged that before the vehicle reaches full operating temperature, or if the ambient temperature is below 37F degrees, there can be problems. He gave me a lot of things to check. He also said that the vehicle will remember the last setting you were in when you shut the vehicle off and return to it. He asked me to check and see if I didn't accidently set downhill hold feature on the console. Easy to do by resting your hand there or putting something on it. That can cause problems too.

I know about the on/off button for the feature. The problem was after turning it off, when I came to a full stop, it turned itself back on, shutting down the engine. The computer kept returning to the last mode I shut down the vehicle in. I read everything I could find in the owner's manual.

I followed his instructions to take a long ride and turned the feature off every time it came back on. It took about four times doing that before the computer reset itself. Now all seems to be fine.

I will make sure the Auto Start/Stop engine feature is set to off before I turn the engine off from now on.

The Service Department clearly understood what I was experiencing. I asked the woman who told me to come in for service, Would you accept that solution, Would you be happy with the advisor's answer? She plainly said NO.

Now some info you may not know. The person in the Corporate "Genius" group said that group goes through more training than others at lower levels. He also said many dealerships have one person who goes through the exact training he did. He gave me the name of the person in the "Genius" group at my dealer. That's the only person I will talk to in the future. Today was the first day the group began taking support questions. Lucky for me. The service advisor really ticked me off.

He also suggested I go to bmwgeniusapp.com. It is an app for smart phones. It was released today according to him. I haven't tried it yet. Suppose to have informational videos there. Hope I got the URL right.

Thanks again, great support group. You may want to find out if your dealer has a member in the genius group. Most likely the dealer has.
Appreciate 0