07-20-2012, 05:03 PM   #4
Alligator69
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: X3 F25 2.0d Mineral Silver

Quote:
Originally Posted by philtrick123 View Post
Hi,

A quick question- I've got a 3.0d on order. Is it possible with the ZF gearbox to redline the engine? One of the frustrations I have with my existing non BMW diesel auto is the Auto ECU will not allow me to drop into a gear which would mean high reving the engine. i.e. using engine braking. I find I'm on the brakes a lot more then I would with a manual gearbox. Good for saving the engine, but harder on the brakes. Sometimes I just wish I could drop another gear during deceleration, I'm pushing back on the gear lever, and the gearbox will not drop until the revs drop.
It's not so safe to redline an engine when downshifting. I understand you want to have a good engine help for braking but doing this with the gearbox exposes you to difficulties in tuning perfectly the amount of engine brake end the engine to some unnecessary stress. Trust your gearbox logic, if it doesn't allow you to downshift there must be a very good reason.

This said, in manual mode, you can still have some fun, either up shifting at the limit and downshifting slightly below the redline.
Appreciate 0