View Single Post
      12-18-2015, 08:55 PM   #3
brissim
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X3 30d (2011 F25) - now sold

Its always disappointing when you hear such crap and rubbish coming from someone in the tyre industry. As Braumin said - its all fiction.

Generally speaking by law (and you should be able to check what your local laws are) any replacement tyre must
1. either the same size or within an allowable tolerance of overall tyre diameter (your speedo and odometer works off the rolling diameter of the tyre). For example here in Australia you are allowed a -26mm/+15mm variance from the OEM tyre diameter.
2. must have an equal or higher load rating from the tyre you are replacing.
3. in some countries, must have same or higher speed rating (in Australia replacement tyres for passenger cars only have to have a minimum speed rating of S - 180km/h).

But as I say - check your local laws. If you don't know about load and speed ratings, and tyre wear ratings - just do some Google searching.

For 4 years now I've been running non-RFTs on my X3. I'm biased somewhat toward Pirelli and generally speaking you can't go wrong. I currently have Pirelli Scorpion Verde All Seasons on my X3 30d. No complaint, very quiet and the last lot I got nearly 50,000 km of hard driving on bad roads out of them. P7s are more of a passenger car tyre (as opposed to an SUV tyre) and don't think have a very high wear rating compared with the Verde All Seasons. However given your location I assume you also have to give consideration to performance in snow and ice - something I don't have to worry about.

Even though its a US-based website - I've always found the tirerack site (tirerack.com) a great source of comparative information between tyres. I'm sure there's equally useful sites in Europe.

Tony
Appreciate 0