View Single Post
      10-27-2011, 06:38 PM   #13
skier219
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: X3 M40i, M2C, Ferrari 328

I would +1 everything Ledzep said. I am a big fan of plugging tires in situ when possible. I carry a plug kit and 12V compressor in my Acura (which doesn't have RFTs, but you get the idea). In cases where I find a nail/screw before the tire is flat, I can generally pull the nail, prep the hole, and shove in a plug without losing very much air.

RFTs can be a hassle since it often takes 1-2 days to get them in stock at any tire dealer. That can be a real PITA, especially if you're on vacation or it's the weekend. My wife got a flat last Friday afternoon, and her car was out of commission until Wednesday. The flat was caused by a cut right where the tread and sidewall meet, and wasn't something that could be repaired. So we had to order a new tire and wait for it to ship on Monday, arrive here on Tuesday, and then get mounted on Wednesday. That's the hidden penalty of RFTs.

Another reason not to go with RFTs would be off-roading -- you'll want a proper full size spare for that. I don't think many BMW owners fall into that category though.
Appreciate 0