View Single Post
      10-05-2012, 11:50 PM   #6
brissim
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X3 30d (2011 F25) - now sold

Quote:
Originally Posted by doc.crawford View Post
What have people found would need to be done over the first few years? If it is just scheduled oil changes and maintenance then obviously this would not be worth it, but if there are other things needed to be done in that time it would be better to pay upfront.

Thanks for the input.
You have probably part-answered your own question. You need to find out from your dealer exactly what the servicing deal involves - ie is it just scheduled servicing (parts?, labour?, consumables - oil, filters etc), does it cover big ticket items such as brake pads etc. What it could come down to is how many regular services are you going to get within this 3-years/60,000 km. Service intervals are 15,000 km but this could vary depending on what your car says (service intervals are not strictly fixed but are indicated by the car itself). I had my first regular service @ 16,000 km with the indicator recommending the next at around 28/29,000 km. For me, this indicates I would probably have 4 services within the 60,000 km limit. I drive around 25,000 km per year. Someone driving only say 10,000km/year would only get 2-3 services before the 3-year limit expires.

So perhaps what I'm saying is it could depend on how many miles you cover - ie high milage you could get 4 services and the $2,000 might be cost-effective, but drive less than say 20,000km/year and only get 3 services and I would suggest its not worth it. But again, check out the detail of the offer from the dealer to see what it covers and what it doesn't.

Tony
Appreciate 0