View Single Post
      02-06-2014, 10:31 PM   #1
llangston1
Registered
Rep
Drives: 1999 323is

Replacing a Xenon headlight bulb

Does anyone know how to replace a xenon headlight bulb on a 2007 X3. My passenger light is bad and although I can open up the back of the headlight assembly to get access to the bulb but I can' t figure out how to release the thin wire clip that holds the bulb to the headlight frame. Its hard to see any catch or latches that need to be opened. Her are some pictures I took in the blind with my phone. As you can see the wire clip start in the big loop at the bottom, crosses across tieback of the silver ignitor box and then runs to the side and up and over the top of the bulb somewhere. Do i have to remove the headlight to get enough access to release the clip? These stupid bulbs cost $99 at the local parts stores which is ridiculous for a light bulb. the pictures are all rotated 90 deg clockwise from the way they are located in the car. In the last 2 pics you can see the wire pass throughout a C or U bracket at the upper corner before it bends toward the front of the car up under the front cross bar. That U piece prevents you from just pushing or rotating the wire out of the way. I appear to release up at the top and then swing down on those large wire loops on the bottom corners. I just can't see any sort of latch and the only way you can even see it is by using a mirror.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0