United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 X3 xDrive 35i

Garage List
2020 X3 M40i  [0.00]
2016 BMW X3 35i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by kspr030 View Post
the one I seen was $20k (check below) - That's basically my point. I can either pay $29k - and still expect issues accordingly above mentioned examples by MichiganMike.

Or pay $20k, gamble a little, but if any issues, I'm most likely still saving money (unless whole engine needs to be replaced)
It would be prudent to review with care the service records for this vehicle and to have a thorough independent inspection before buying. Some sources suggest that 100K miles is the point at which modern BMWs may become very expensive to maintain. See the quote from the link below.

"If you read Roundel, Satch believes the current BMWs are good for about 100,000 miles before they need to be disposed of due to the high cost to repair the complex technology when it starts to fail (and it will). "

http://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/sh...gh-mileage-BMW

For example, if the suspension is the original components then the bushings and other parts may need replacement soon. BMW automatic transmissions are complex, expensive to repair and if the transmission fluid has never been changed may be a ticking time bomb at 100K miles. If oil and other fluids have been changed at extended intervals, there may be excessive wear which may lead to more repairs after 100K miles. The transfer case components are also subject to problems if fluids have not been changed at reasonable intervals.

A friendly BMW service advisor, if you can find one, may be able to provide records of service done in the past by a BMW dealer, which may be helpful in evaluating the vehicle.
Appreciate 0