View Single Post
      02-01-2011, 09:37 AM   #9
TrikinCurt
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: X3 35i Mineral Silver

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksoze View Post
As was stated, it certainly appears that way based on the breadcrumbs we are being left.

The challenge with all this is that I am not aware of BMW offering a for fee software based update in the past. The 6NR obviously involves licensing, etc. and is likely to require a firmware or software upgrade which would need a dealer service intervention. Hopefully we will see soon.
I am just nervous without it being specifically said. If it wasn't that my best build date is March 15th, and this update is April, I would probably just let it go.

So we do know the main thing about 6NR is to support the "ipod out" function of iOS 4.0. So, the question is simply if BMW has the hardware in place to support this on all cars and if it is just a software issue.

iPod out means that the rendering of the UI is done on the iPhone, hence the cradle needed, part of the apple connector sends video, so first step is that the car needs to have physical wiring from the cradle to the nav display. Anyone know if that exists?

Second part is having commands from the car sent back to the iphone. I doubt that part has been done before? Again, the commands would go back to the same dock connector on the iPad, but it is just a question if those wires have ever been physically connected.

So that is my concern about it being just software... It is true that it all goes to the same apple connector on that end, I just wonder if all those connections have been made in past cars.
Appreciate 0