08-07-2011, 11:40 AM   #33
Lotus7
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: xxxx

Quote:
Originally Posted by epiphone3 View Post
you know there is a shade that goes over the roof which basically makes the moonroof look like a normal roof on the inside, right? With the shade pulled shut, it looks no different than a regular roof.
All true.
I've had (3) recent vehicles with a sun/moon roof: A Honda Accord Wagon, Audi A4 2.8, a Subaru Legacy GT turbo. Never used any of them more than once or twice, and felt I was forced to purchase a feature that I had no use for.

My dislike for sun/moonroofs I'll never use is because of:

1. The external appearance of the vehicle. I just don't like the way the roof looks with the surface broken up by the glass. It's also harder to wash the vehicle.

2. The additional weight at the highest possible place on the vehicle. It raises the center of gravity, which is already too high on a X3.

3. The added mechanical components, which in a small percentage of vehicles will fail. Several Forum members have already had moonroof failures. Additionally, a sun/moonroof is always a potential source of leaks as the vehicle ages and gaskets/seals wear and harden.

4. Although not really significant in the X3, there is a reduction of headroom.

5. Paying for something one does not want or will ever use.

I'm all for offering the moonroof as an option as BMW did on the 2011 models, but being forced to take it, or not being able to get the N55 engine would cause me to look elseware for a vehicle.

I have no issues at all with those who enjoy driving with a moonroof and fully understand the value to some people. I'm fortunate to have other vehicles, so if I want open air driving I can choose an open roadster with no top (bonnet) at all. My issue is not with the value of having a moonroof, the problem I have is being forced to take it.
Appreciate 0