View Single Post
      05-10-2011, 07:13 AM   #12
AC888
Private
Rep
Drives: Porsche Boxster, Mini Clubman

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ Daddy-O View Post
There is no doubt that on the outside, the diesel engine is noisier than a petrol engine. The engine is quieter when it is warmed up rather than cold.

From the inside (which is what I am bothered about), I do not notice really any significant difference overall from my previous car (a merc c180k petrol engine). There is a bit of a rattle at low revs - below 1200 rpm - but in real life driving you only hear this occassionally. Most importantly, I do not find the engine intrusive at all.

My brother in law has a 520d which is 3 years old and has about 37k miles on the clock. This is a bit quieter than mine (with only 600 miles on the clock), and I am unsure whether this is down to mileage or the fact it is a slightly different engine model. Probably the former.

It is also streets ahead a couple of colleagues' diesel engines from different marques, and this is probably the better comparason (I will avoid comparason to a colleagues Range Rover Sport diesel engine which is an entirely different league!). It is much quieter inside and out than Citreon/Peugeout and VW.

So what does all this mean - yes it is noisier than a petrol engine on the outside. From the cabin, it is just not a problem. Really, don't worry about it.
Thanks for your comments, its very helpful and I can now buy the car with confidence.
Appreciate 0