View Single Post
      11-21-2023, 07:06 PM   #1019
conky81
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 F25, Mini Cooper S R56

New F25 X3 Owner First Fixes

Just bought my F25 X3 a few weeks ago. 2011 xDrive35i M Sport.

Have had to fix a broken front spring. The pinch bolt was rusted. Thank the gods for heat and an impact gun going forward and reverse. Also, was such a pain to get the strut back in the knuckle. Had to remove the lower rear control arm to get the right rotation. New "self-taping" bolts up top to the strut mount didn't need to be changed, IMHO. The old ones bit right in.

The other major thing was that the front brake pads on the passenger side were toast. The pad material had broken off from the backing plate on both pads. Very strange. Wonder if that's from it sitting for several months, or overheating from a stuck caliper, or a manufacturing defect. Was both pads on the one side. I'll be keeping an eye on things.

Another strange thing was a seeming lack of diagrams that show the hose coming off the bottom of the expansion tank for a part number. What's the deal there? Previous owner didn't fix the leak, but I did. They were for sure putting concentrated green coolant in there to fill it up when the low coolant warning came up. I'll be doing a flush to blue soon.

I'll share some other cosmetic stuff when it's time to fix those. Now that the major stuff is done, what do you experienced F25 DIYers suggest for basic maintenance to get the X3 with 200,000kms back to solid foundations?

Thanks!
Attached Images

Appreciate 1