View Single Post
      10-07-2016, 09:11 AM   #1
dreaming440i
Private
Rep
Drives: 2017 440i Gran Coupe M Sport

2013 X3: Combox/TCU replacement for BMW ASSIST

Just dropped my 2013 X3 off at the dealer for servicing. (USA) The service adviser told me that they have a "recall" to install an updated Telematics Control Unit, also known as "com box". Or, at my option, I could have a $250 gift card, or a $300 credit on BMW accessories in the dealership store.

I brilliantly responded... Huh? What?

After a good bit of forum searching, it turns out this is the upgraded box needed to keep your 2010 to 2013 car (and maybe earlier) compatible with the USA 3G to 4G cellular changeover on BMW Assist/ConnectedDrve. That program is switching to a new cell carrier on January 1st, so it will stop working on model years 2013 and older. Although it wasn't really clear to me, I gather that BMW is making this offer to at least the owners that currently have a subscription that extends past January 1. It might be available to others, I don't know.

So why the $250 gift card option? Well, many people, like myself, have no intention of ever paying the $199 a year to renew the service when it runs out at the end of the four free years. So I suspect it is much cheaper for BMW to pony up $250 to get me to forgo my rights to a (probably very expensive) replacement. Win-win.

Here's a link to the description of the telematic features for 2013 and older:

http://www.bmwusa.com/Standard/Conte...ndearlier.aspx

Here are some of the Assist features that stop working:

Automatic Collision Notification
Emergency Request (SOS)
Enhanced Roadside Assistance
Accident Management
MyInfo
Stolen Vehicle Recovery
Remote Door Unlock
TeleService
Customer Relations
Advanced Real-Time Traffic Information (ARTTI)
Weather Icons in Navigation Map
BMW "Remote" App.
Concierge services
Appreciate 0