View Single Post
      07-24-2015, 06:11 AM   #2
Peter_R
Air Vice Marshall
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X1 LCI xDrive 2.0i M Sport

There is another thread on the forum with videos of the new X1. It is in fact quite a bit smaller than an X3 and uses the front-wheel-drive architecture that underpins the 2-series Active Tourer and Gran Tourer people-movers sold in Europe, as well as BMW's third-generation Mini. Whereas the current X3 is based on a totally different architecture initially derived from the older 3 series.

Also on the forum I posted a link to a Welsh newspaper motoring correspondent review of the car that said it would only be sold in the UK as an expensive X1 xDrive25d. No petrols! If this is the case, in my view BMW are missing a trick here, but there again it is meant to compete against other manufactures smaller SUVs that are appearing everywhere and not against the larger X3.

One of the videos showed a guy loading a surfboard and it clearly showed his complete head was above the roofline of the new X1. This makes it relatively smaller than an X3 or the guy in the video is over 7 feet tall.

Interestingly, some time ago I carried out a youtube search and not many showed people with the new car and never in the same photo of the X3. Careful marketing I would say.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smithy2014 View Post
Incidentally when is the next gen X3 due as my lease runs out early 2017 so will be looking to place an order mid 2016
Proposed next generation X3......

Third Generation (Pending for 2017)[edit]
Third Generation (Prototype)
Overview
Production Pending
Model years 2017-
Due to arrive in 2017, the next generation BMW X3 will sport a new design created by BMW’s Australian designer, Calvin Luk.[6]

The new version is codenamed G01 and is currently in testing as a prototype. The new X3 crossover will adopt a plug-in hybrid technology, and will be made available in two efficient 2.0 litre diesel units known as B47, a next generation 3.0 diesel engine (B57) and a petrol variant (B58).[7]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BMW_X3...ng_for_2017.29
2020 BMW X1 xDrive 2.0i MSport (F48).
2022 MB EQB 300 4MATIC AMG Line Premium

Last edited by Peter_R; 07-24-2015 at 06:20 AM.. Reason: Additional information
Appreciate 0